Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My first slow-carb breakfast - blah!




So one thing I've been doing that is bad, bad, bad, is that I haven't been eating breakfast right after I get up.  According to the 4-Hour Body plan, you should eat within 30 minutes, an hour at most, of waking.  I wouldn't mind that so much, but breakfast has become a sort of ritual for me.  I am the kind of person who needs a certain amount of alone time in order to be a kind and patient person when I'm around other people.  And as a librarian, dealing with sometimes difficult customers, and as a parent, dealing with sometimes difficult children, that alone time is necessary to being able to maintain my equilibrium in trying situations.

So in the morning, whenever my schedule permits it, I have my breakast "respite."  It honestly gives me a psychological edge for the rest of the day when I can have my breakfast, a quiet cup of copy, and read a book.  20 minutes works - a half-hour is optimal. 

I've been getting up at 7, getting the kids ready for school, leaving at 8 to drop them off, and getting back home and eating breakfast at about 8:30.  So that's not really going to work on this diet plan.  And what I normally eat?  All things that are prohibited on this diet.  Usually a whole-grain bagel or toast, some cheese or yogurt, and fruit.  Yup.  None of that is permitted now, so I have to eat something that is not appealing to me at that hour of the day, and I have to get up extra early to eat it.  This diet had better see some results pretty quickly, is all I'm saying. 

This morning I got up at 6:30 and made myself breakfast:  four strips of turkey bacon, two eggs, and some refried beans from Trader Joe's (with jalapeno).  And some coffee  Here it is:


I only managed to eat about half of it, though.  It was just too early for that kind of breakfast for me.  And the refried beans were just awful.  I tossed those in the trash, along with the rest of the can, and gave the remainder to the dog, who has decided this is the best diet plan ever.

I was feeling a little queasy after that attempt at breakfast, so I had a little bowl of sliced cucumber.  I really, really miss fruit.  I thought I might be craving chocolate or bagels or something, but so far what I'm positively dying for is a bowl of strawberries.  Or a mango or a banana.  I cannot wait till Saturday!

I felt faintly nauseated all morning at work today.  Maybe that's not so bad - I wasn't hungry at all!  I have to say, though, I'm not feeling too optimistic about this breakfast change.  Ferriss says it takes a few days to get used to it.  This may be the hardest change I'll have to make with this plan.

2 comments:

  1. If I'm not mistaken, the reason for eating within an hour of getting up is to kick-start your metabolism. What I do is just eat a few bites within an hour and then eat the rest later when I'm actually hungry (so a few bites between 6 & 7 and my regular breakfast at around 9 or 9:30). Maybe you can try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val - Thanks for stopping by! I think you are right, and I've begun to modify my breakasts a bit. Mainly I've come to terms with the fact that I really, really don't want beans first thing in the morning, as much as I enjoy them the rest of the time. I have found that I am hungrier earlier on than before. Is that happening to you, too?

    ReplyDelete